Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Party Ben / Radiohead : Reckoner

I'm not a big Radiohead fan, so I'm not real familiar with this tune.  I am a big Timbaland fan, although he's kind of played out lately, but I'm not familiar with the instrumental (Justin Timberlake's "My Love") used here either.  In any case, like many good mashups, I think this is a fortuitous juxtaposition by someone with a good ear.

The Radiohead tune is typical long-winded keening from Thom Yorke.  The original has him moaning over a pretty standard rock four-by-four beat.  Party Ben has taken the ultra-funky backing track from Justin's song and layered Thom's vocals over it and the result is, in my opinion, a drastic improvement.  The song moves from pedestrian to symphonic, with the lyrics soaring over the syrupy-thick electronic backdrop.  And the catcalls and beatboxing sprinkled liberally throughout, serve to destroy the cloying pretentiousness that normally permeates a Radiohead track.  Plus, they're just awesome.

You can't purchase the mash, but Radiohead's original is available on their 2008 release, In Rainbows, and Justin Timberlake's "My Love" is available on his 2006 release, FutureSex/LoveSounds, which also houses his smash hit "SexyBack".

[You can listen to Party Ben's mash of Radiohead's "Reckoner" by navigating to the post "Song087" and clicking or right-clicking on the title or the link.]




No comments: