Monday, May 3, 2010

Martinn Bootleg / Madonna : Beautiful Stranger

So, I thought I would ride out a week's worth of mashes then bring the standard stuff back. The thing is, I'm still on vacation and there are a couple of mashes I still want to let you know about. So you'll have to stick with it for a little while longer.

Here's another example of taking a different route than the "drop a rap over a track" type mash. Martinn Bootleg takes Madonna's retro-pop hit "Beautiful Stranger" from the Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me soundtrack, and fits it quite beautifully over the backdrop of Smokey Robinson's classic, "Tears of a Clown". Here's how perfect it fits. I had it on my little Shuffle and as I was listening to it while working in the yard, I thought to myself, "Jeez, I never realized how much this song sounds like 'Tears of a Clown'." Yes, it's so perfect I forgot it was a mashup. That, my friends, is a testimony.

To be fair, I think he uses some of the music of the original to help out. I have yet to listen to the three songs back-to-back, so I can't be sure what exactly he did, but it's amazing.  In any case, I don't think he had an a cappella vocal or instrumental backing track to work with, so on top of getting it all to fit together so perfectly, he did it by sonically pulling apart the originals.  An amazing piece of work.

You can't buy the mash, but the original Madonna song is from the Austin Powers soundtrack I mentioned earlier, and of course you can get "Tears of a Clown" on any number of compilations.

[You can listen to Martinn Bootleg's mash of Madonna's "Beautiful Stranger" by navigating to the post "Song086" and clicking or right-clicking on the title or the link.]


No comments: