Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Mae Shi - Summer in Gommorah




Who the hell are the Mae Shi? I've barely heard of them, but I love 'em. They do really noisy pop-inflected rock. But really, really noisy. And broken.

I'm a sucker for deconstructed pop-rock. That is, you take a normal pop/rock structure, you know, bands and a songs with verses and choruses and hooks and melodies, and you break it up and break it down. You do whatever you want inside that structure, as long as it's still recognizable as a pop/rock structure. Mainly, that you're a band and the piece is a "song" and has a hook. For some reason, I really dig that. So bands like the Mae Shi and U.S. Maple and some of John Zorn's side projects really appeal to me.

This song is a straight ahead rocker, not too far from something a late 60's garage band might have produced, but it's chock full of overdriven guitar, electronic noises, whoops and hollers, and just basically the noise of people rocking out and having a great time. Some of Mae Shi's stuff is far more experimental, but I went with something more straightforward cuz I didn't want to scare y'all.

This tune, "Summer in Gommorah" is off an EP of theirs called To Hit Armor Class Zero. (Yes, I believe that's a D&D reference.) The only thing I don't like about this EP is that the 5th song is a 50-minute-long noise goof-off. Sometimes I like that sort of thing, if it's done well, but this one is pretty boring. The first four songs are great though and their other LPs are all damn good too, with Hillyh and Heartbeeps topping the list.

(No post yesterday, because I was out sick. Soon, I hope to have some back-ups posts to cover spots like that, but I don't have enough yet that I feel comfortable posting them out.)


No comments: